Firm also leading construction for historic STEM residence hall
STORRS, CT, Oct. 2, 2015 – Staff members at KBE Building Corporation (KBE) (https://kbebuilding.com/) won’t be serving food to University of Connecticut students, but they will be making the serving process a whole lot smoother very soon.
The $300 million construction firm was recently awarded its third active construction project at UCONN’s Storrs campus: a comprehensive renovation to the Israel Putnam Refectory Dining Hall.
Project Highlights | Putnam Dining Hall Renovation, University of Connecticut
KBE is serving as General Contractor for the $12.6 million project, which encompasses the following highlights:
- 42,000 s/f renovation to the existing dining facility on the University of Connecticut’s Storrs campus to accommodate an overall seating capacity of 700 students:
- full renovation of the existing servery and seating area on the upper floor
- conversion of lower level into an additional level of seating and servery
- installation of the following new elements:
- service elevator
- two-level tray return system
- monumental open stair to connect upper- and lower-level seating areas
- new rooftop mechanical and kitchen equipment condensing units
- new servery-related food service equipment, serving lines, beverage stations, condiment stations, and serving counters
- new finishes, graphics, and lighting
- new furnishings throughout
- designed by Amenta Emma Architects
- completion scheduled for late summer 2016
Continuing to Feed UCONN’s Future
A long-time builder for the University of Connecticut, KBE has completed a variety of construction projects on campus that have helped improve the college experience for students. Featured past projects include the following:
- University of Connecticut | Garrigus Suites Residence Hall | Storrs, CT
- University of Connecticut | McMahon Dining Hall | Storrs, CT
- University of Connecticut | Student Union | Storrs, CT
In addition to these past projects, KBE is leading the design-build team for the historic STEM residence hall, now underway at the Storrs campus. Part of Governor Dannel Malloy’s Next Generation Connecticut (NGC) initiative, the new residence hall is designed to greatly expand educational opportunities, research, and innovation in the science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) disciplines at the school during the next decade, with the overall goal of creating an infrastructure that supports Connecticut’s most important industries, including high-tech manufacturing.
KBE was also recently awarded the $17 million renovation to the Henry Ruthven Monteith Building and Andre Schenker Lecture Hall, also at the Storrs campus.
A rendering of the $12.6 million renovation to the Putnam Dining Hall is available below, courtesy of Amenta Emma Architects.
Rendering Credit: Amenta Emma Architects
Caption: Rendering of the $12.6M renovation of the Israel Putnam Refectory Dining Hall at the University of Connecticut’s Storrs campus. Courtesy of Amenta Emma Architects.
About KBE Building Corporation
Located in Farmington, CT, Norwalk, CT, and Columbia, MD, KBE Building Corporation is a full-service, single-source commercial construction company strategically positioned to serve the Eastern and Mid-Atlantic U.S. Founded in 1959 and incorporated in 1966, the firm provides preconstruction, construction management, design-build, and general contracting services to clients in the retail, educational, senior living, federal, corporate, hospitality, health care, and institutional markets. KBE has managed more than $4 billion in construction volume during the past two decades and is ranked among Engineering News-Record magazine’s top 400 construction companies nationally. Learn more at www.kbebuilding.com.
Media Contact: Jonelle Lawhorn | KBE Director of Marketing
t: 860.284.7431 | c: 860.836.7517 | f: 860.284.7831 | e: firstname.lastname@example.org